About This Course
In this course you will practice the skills to plan and facilitate an EDI-focused training for staff in your organization.At the end of the course you will be able to:
- Articulate the value of implementing EDI training to all staff
- Look at the landscape for potential learning opportunities and determine a starting point for EDI training journey at your institution
- Select appropriate resources to support staff learning on topics of EDI
- Design and execute an EDI training at your library
- Practice strategies for giving and receiving feedback
Allyson Coan (Advisory Librarian, Skokie Public Library) and Laurel Johnson (Young Adult Services Supervisor, Skokie Public Library) are the instructors for this course, which was originally offered as a four-week course in December 2020.
How This On Demand Course Works
Infopeople on Demand courses provide an opportunity to take discounted versions of recent Infopeople courses, repackaged as asynchronous courses so that learners can take them any time. While instructors are not available for discussion or feedback, these courses are designed so that learners have unlimited access to materials and can participate at their own pace.
The course fee is $75. To pay by credit card, click on the "enroll in course" button above.
Questions? Please contact [email protected].
- Welcome to Unit 1!
- Watch/Listen/Read: "'Diversity' Is Losing Its Meaning—What Should We Say Instead?"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "Eight Reasons Why We Need to Focus on Inclusion Rather Than Diversity"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "The problem with that equity vs. equality graphic you’re using"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "Where Do Our Minds Live?"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "Access Ain't Inclusion"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "Leading for Equity"
- Application Activity: Self-Reflection
- Application Activity: Implicit Bias Tests
- Welcome to Unit 2!
- Online Session: The Value of Implementing EDI Training for All Staff (77:46)
- Watch/Listen/Read: "4 Types of Learning Styles: How to Accommodate a Diverse Group of Students"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "Diversity Training: What Works and What Doesn't"
- Application Activity: Mapping Out Your Training
- Welcome to Unit 3!
- Online Session: Preparing and Implementing EDI Training (71:36)
- Watch/Listen/Read: "Facilitating Necessary Spaces"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "How to Create a Group Agreement"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "SPL Word of the Month"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "EDI Training Planning Document"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "SPL Civic Lab Examples"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "How to train employees to have difficult conversations"
- Application Activity: Outlining Your Training
- Welcome to Unit 4!
- Watch/Listen/Read: "Speaking Up Without Tearing Down"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "Your Learning Hurts"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "Project READY - Reimagining Equity & Access for Diverse Youth"
- Watch/Listen/Read: "Self-Guided Curriculum: Race, Racism, and the American Experience"
- Application Activity: Complete the Training Outline
- Course Feedback
- Congratulations on completing this course!
Infopeople: The Source of Online Learning
for Library People
Infopeople is part of the Califa Group, a nonprofit consortium of more than 230 libraries committed to unleashing the impact of libraries. Infopeople provides library staff quality continuing education opportunities that are tailored to library needs and developed by experienced library professionals. Training formats include 2-6 week online courses that include both synchronous and asynchronous components; on demand, self-paced courses; and free one-hour webinars.